Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Juneau

I have now been in Alaska for almost one month and I have been all over the place. I live in Fairbanks but have been traveling more than I have been home. Juneau is the capital of Alaska but many people I have met so far have never been there. You can only get there by ferry or plane and it is a pretty small city for a state capital. In the summer it is supposedly gorgeous as Juneau is surrounded by water and mountains. I was there when it was constantly raining, damp and cold. However I did make it out to Mendenhall Glacier. The glacier has receeded quite a bit but you can still see the crystal blue ice (the dreary day makes it kind of hard to see in the pictures so look closely).




As I was ill prepared for the rain in Juneau, my scarf doubles as a hood. Very Strega Nona.


2 comments:

  1. First of all, absolutely beautiful pictures--I'm enjoying reading your blog!

    Second, I just watched an entire season of Ice Road Truckers today and I thought of you in Alaska; they travel from Fairbanks to Deadhorse up by Prudhoe Bay on ice roads and frozen lakes. (curious if a horse ever was in Deadhorse...) Again, I bow to your guts to move up there.

    Finally, we missed you last weekend--4 batches of potatoes gone within minutes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ice roads freak me out! I'm hoping to make a trip to Prudhoe Bay this summer but I'm not hardcore enough for winter!

    I missed you all too. I though about cheesy potatoes all weekend. Hopefully I'll make it next time.

    Happy holidays and stay warm :)

    ReplyDelete